This can be either a super easy week night dinner or a decadent weekend breakfast, with the added bonus of having low calories.
You can also make a healthier version by either swapping the cream for milk or leaving it out altogether.
You can also get creative with your fillings – I usually go with the ‘whatever I have left in the fridge’ theme, and last time I cooked it I got lucky with goat’s cheese and ham.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp cream
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Butter, for cooking
- Any additional fillings
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Combine the yolks, cream, salt and pepper. Gently stir this mixture through the egg whites.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick pan, over medium low heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and allow to cook for about three minutes.
- Add the cheese and any other fillings you like.
- Fold over and allow to cook for a further three minutes.
Voila! Bulk it up with some tasty fillings if you want to make it for a quick weeknight dinner or keep it simple if it’s a morning bite.
Note: this recipe is attributed to Donna Hay’s “the new classics” cookbook (with a few tweaks) as is the picture. Mine looked just as good but I ate it before I remembered to take a picture!